Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Coffee Table NO MORE

Around our casa, we could always use more seating and after finding this small & not-so-cute coffee table on craigslist, I decided it would make a perfect bench.



before

after


Using 2" dense foam, I cut a piece to fit. Foam cuts easily with an electric knife....so does angel food cake :) Yummy.



I then painted the legs and upper frame a soft creamy white. What a difference a little spray paint makes. I cut one large rectangle 1" wider and 1" longer than the foam to allow for 1/2" seams. Two long sides & two short sides were also cut. Then using bias strips and cotton cording, I made the piping.





The prepared piping was tacked on.



Then the right sides of the cushion cover were pinned and sewn together.




Ahhhhh....ugly NO MORE!



The Amy Butler print behind the bench is part of a "skirt" I made to go around my cutting/sewing table. It successfully hides all of the junk I have stashed under there.....fabric remnants, patterns, tools, books and my sewing machine. I even had enough extra to recover my nasty old ironing board.


I want to thank by new blog friend, Jayna, for inspiring these projects!

Check out her fun blog here:


http://thehawsfamily.blogspot.com/



4 comments:

  1. Awesome job Stacy! It looks great and your sewing skills are fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy, I found your blog through Life + Style. I love your chair transformation! You have amazing sewing skills! I too live in Wisconsin. I was wondering if you offer sewing/re-upholstery services? I'm sure your vintage sofa is going to be beautiful as well!

    Charmaine
    http://mybestfriendcraig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Just saw your feature on Better After & linked over. Love your bench!! So happy I found your great blog :)
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary ~ Thanks for the sweet comment....I had fun repurposing that coffee table. Unfortunately, I'm usually so busy with my projects that this blog hasn't really turned into too much yet. I have hopes of starting seriously soon. Along with a friend, I am hoping to begin a little online adventure...will keep you posted. Also checked out your blog ~ fun stuff. Do you have any suggestions for us as we get started?

    ReplyDelete